crunchy and healthyIt has been a long time since I have made stir fried vegetables at home. It was a common request by my father in law to make some of it along with fried rice and spring rolls. A visit to one of the greengrocers in Nairobi for just strawberries and I nearly bought the whole shop. Fresh, crunchy vegetables and the first thing that came to my mind was stir fry vegetables. I made some noodles to go along with it as my hubby loves noodles. Any combination of vegetables can be used for stir fries and its quick and healthy. Some Chinese restaurants in Kenya serve chinese dishes loaded with cornflour. They presume that a thick sauce with loads of cornflour makes the dish appealing. I hate the cornflour taste. Some restaurants charge the earth for a dish and use loads of cabbage. I would recommend Bangkok Restaurant to anyone visiting Nairobi. They are the best. The vegetables are crispy, fresh and tasty. None of the dishes are overly spiced. Till you can reach a nice Chinese restaurant, try out this stir fry and play around with the spices according to your taste.
STIR FRY VEGETABLES WITH NOODLES
100g (½ cup) carrot slices
100g (½- ¾ cup) french beans, cut into 1-1½" length
200g (1 cup) sliced baby corn
200g (1½ cup) snow peas (sugar snap peas) cut into half
100g (1½ cup) sliced mushrooms
1 medium onion (½ cup) sliced
100g (2 cups) bean sprouts
5-6 cloves of garlic finely sliced
1 tsp thin strips of ginger
1 tbsp sesame oil
1 tbsp oil
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp sesame seeds
1 tbsp chopped cashew nuts
For the sauce:
1 cup water
1 tbsp cornflour
1 tsp red chilli sauce
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp honey
1 tsp rice or white wine vinegar
1-1½ tsp salt
1 tsp pepper powder
2-3 tbsp chopped spring onions
Preparation of the stir fry vegetables:
- Blanch the baby corn, french beans and snow peas separately in boiling water. Plunge them in cold water to stop the cooking. Drain and keep it on the side till required.
- Keep the sauce ready by mixing all the sauce ingredients.
- Heat both the oils in a wide pan over high heat.
- Add sesame seeds, cashew nuts onions, garlic and ginger to it and stir fry for 15 seconds.
- Add the carrot slices, baby corn slices, french beans and stir fry for 30 seconds. Keep on stirring the vegetables.
- Add mushrooms and stir fry for a further 15 to 30 seconds.
- Add bean sprouts and mix.
- Push all the vegetables to the side of the pan. Add the sauce in the empty space created.
- As soon as it begins to bubble, mix in the vegetables.
- Garnish with spring onions and serve with noodles or rice.
Preparation of noodles:
- Boil enough water.
- Add salt and 1tsp of oil.
- Add noodles and cook till just done. The noodles I used took just 3 minutes.
- Drain out the water.
- You can stir fry the noodles with in oil and soy sauce or just serve them plain.
- Use any vegetables of your choice like broccoli, celery, chinese cabbage etc.
- Stir fry the vegetables just before serving. You can blanch french beans, snow peas and baby corn ahead.
- Adjust the spices according to your taste.
You may want to check out the following:
|baby corn machurian|
|spinach and baby corn soup|
Sending this recipe for the following events: